Wednesday, November 9, 2016

NOVEMBER 7, 2016 -- MY SECOND WEEK IN THE MISSION FIELD

Elder Connor R. Tracy
Colombia Bogota North Mission
September 2016 -- September 2018


November 7, 2016

We went to the Temple today. It's about 15 minutes away by taxi, so I'm pretty close. It was a cool experience!


Elder Connor Tracy at the Bogota Colombia Temple

Elder Connor Tracy at the Bogota, Colombia Temple








Elder Collahua and Elder Tracy at the Bogota, Colombia Temple









































So I watched a guy get hit by a car, bleed like heck from his mouth and nose (probably 100 people in the street instantly after him getting hit). We just watched, and his motorcycle got destroyed. Bad day for him. Anyway.

I think my faith isn't sufficient. When the guy got hit by the car, I thought of what Paul would do. I bet he would have taken him by the hand, and healed him. Then he would have preached to all the people gathered, and through his faith, many would have been baptized. I find myself not believing things like this can happen. And also, it probably isn't needful for God, but still.  When Jesus said that greater works than these you will do, because I go unto my Father. I want to be able to do those greater works.  And I want to fast but I also am always kinda tired here. Oh well.

This week was pretty good. We had a Bogota North and South Mission meeting with a President of the Quorum of the Seventy, talking about baptisms, searching for new investigators, and the importance of the Book of Mormon.




Basically, he said that if an investigator isn't progressing, use your own good judgment as to when you should stop teaching them, and when they might still accept the gospel. Also, if we have lessons with investigators every hour of the day, just move some of them to a future day, and give ourselves two or so hours to search for new investigators. 
Assuming for a regular person, to change their life it takes about two months. So we should expect success today. But we need to work for in sixty-five days when the people will have done all the things they need to change! 

Pretty interesting insights.  And he talked about how the first investigator was Joseph Smith, and the first missionaries (of this dispensation) were God the Father, and His Son. The only difference is Joseph Smith had an even harder time with joining the church, because he had to establish it!

A story that reminds me of Joseph Smith and being a missionary in general is when I was a little boy on the bus. I would pick up rocks that had different colors in them in our driveway, and then sell them to some of the other kids on the bus. As children they didn't realize the value of a rock compared to a dollar.  So I was able to exchange rocks for dollars.  In the mission, I have the pearl of great price, worth two years of my life, and all I will ever own. Yet people here aren't willing to even listen for ten minutes. I guess it's just a little bit frustrating, because just like in the Book of Mormon, when people are learned, they think they are wise.  If only we could all forget our wisdom and submit to the Father of our spirits, and live!

One of my favorite scriptures is in Hebrews 5:8-9.  


Hebrews 5:8-9 (KJV)

Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;
And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

My testimony this week is on practicing what we preach. The principle of living the gospel without conflict is just like the idea of Adam not knowing joy, because he knew no misery. We know the joy of the gospel, because of the things which we suffer. And the Lord becomes the Author of Salvation to those that OBEY him. I don't know any other way that could be clearer. 

I am grateful for my time as a missionary. I have already learned a lot, and I will continue to learn. Thanks for all your prayers.  We are receiving a lot of investigators to the church, (Five this week, four of which we didn't even know, and many others that fell through), and we are finding many people to teach. 











Until next week.

Elder Connor Tracy
Colombia Bogota North Mission
September 2016 -- September 2018







No comments:

Post a Comment